This apple jelly is really more of an apple jam or butter. My sister in law makes the best apple butter as does my grandma – so I’ve never felt the need to make any. Because I couldn’t find any that I wanted at the grocery store, I decided to make my own. Real easy. I made a really small batch so you could easily double or triple this recipe.
Most of the recipes I found didn’t call for nutmeg. But I tasted it after I added the cinnamon and cloves and thought it needed to be warmed up just a bit. It did the trick.
I planned on using the apple jelly for this ham recipe.
But it’s so good on a piece of hearty bread smeared with butter.
- 1.5 pounds organic apples
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 T butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cloves
- a few grates of nutmeg
- Peel and chop the apples.
- Cook apples and water for about 20 -30 minutes until the apples are soft.
- You can either mush or put in a food processor - depending on your preference.
- Put back in a clean sauce pan and add in sugar and butter.
- Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Use and store in the refrigerator for a few weeks or can according to directions.