You don’t need tomatoes to make a good ketchup. Here is proof!
You can use it on Rhubarb Meatloaf, as a dipping sauce or a spread.
I used some cheap ruby port that I happened to have in the frig.
Yup. That’s frozen rhubarb. Don’t judge.
- 4 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup sucanat or brown sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- the juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 T grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp whole mustard seed
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 2 T ruby port wine
- Put everything into a large saucepan except for the port.
- Bring to a boil, stir well and let stand for 1 hour.
- Return to a boil and cook until the rhubarb is tender and the sauce coats the back of a spoon - about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and add in port wine.
- Puree in blender or use a hand held blender.
- Store in a covered jar in the frig up to a month.