I received some wonderful looking leeks in with my Bountiful Basket this week. I love Bountiful Baskets. It gives me an opportunity to have ingredients that I wouldn’t normally buy and it also takes the decision making out of a lot of what I buy. This week I got a bag full of limes, spaghetti squash, bananas, grapes, green peppers, zucchini, lettuce, fennel, leeks, yellow onions, kale, celery root…I think that was it. ? All organic and all for under 30 bucks. Every week I’m impressed and excited by the variety – and amount!
This Potato Leek soup is a quick version of what seems like could be a very long day of soup making – by looking at the other recipes. Instead I threw it all together and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Easy peasy. I used russet potatoes, leeks, a carrot, celery, chicken broth, cream – and finished it off with a few grates of cheese. It was outstanding for a quick supper tonight – and I have a feeling it’s going to be even better tomorrow.
I got 3 leeks in my “basket” so that is what I used.
Slice the leeks and let them soak in a bit of cold water to remove any sand hiding in the layers – taking off all of the dark green tops first.
I used homemade chicken bone broth – but you could easily use store bought or even vegetable stock if you wanted.
Add in all of your ingredients (including potatoes) and let cook for about 10 minutes before adding in the broth.
Once the cream has been added add a few grates of Kerrygold Aged Sharp Cheddar (per bowl) and there you have it.
Quick and Easy Cheesy Potato Leek Soup.
- 3 leeks, split and soaked to remove the sand, and sliced thin
- ½ cup unsalted Kerrygold butter
- 3 cups chicken broth (approximately)
- 2 cups of half and half or cream
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 stalks organic celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped (optional)
- 3 organic potatoes, diced pretty small
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup shredded Kerrgold Cheddar
- Add butter in with the chopped celery, carrot, potatoes, salt and bay leaf.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth and cook for 10 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Add in cream and heat until warm.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Blend with an immersion blender, regular blender or eat as is.
- Divide among bowls.
- Sprinkle on cheddar cheese.