Jo (my vegan friend)- you might want to skip this one 🙂
I’m a steak and potato girl myself and nothing beats a good ribeye steak with a baked potato. I tend to avoid using the grill. Don’t get me wrong, I love the grill taste and making things in the great outdoors, but I can never get an even temperature and then the flames char half of it…then a big waft of grill smoke goes in your face, in your hair, in your clothes…
My dad taught me the best way (and most consistent way) to make a great steak is with the oven with a good ole cast iron skillet. If anyone knows good steak, it’s my father. The trick is to get the oven hot (think 500 degrees) along with the pan.
Make sure your steak is at room temperature. I get mine out of the refrigerator and let it sit for about an hour.
You want to brush the steak with oil before frying it. You need an oil that will hold up to high high heat. Coconut oil is the healthiest way to go. Use organic expeller pressed and you won’t get any coconut flavor at all.
Sprinkle very liberally with salt. I skip the pepper because I’ve read at such high heat it just burns and turns bitter.
Put just the skillet in a 500 degree oven and let it get hot for about 20 minutes. When you’re ready, leave the oven at 500 degrees and turn your burner on high heat. Put your skillet on the burner for a few minutes. Carefully lay your seasoned, room temperature and oil covered steak in the screaming hot pan. Set the timer for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes flip and put in the oven. Set the timer for another 2 minutes. After the timer goes – flip one more time and put back in the oven. Yup – 2 more minutes. This will create the perfect medium to medium rare steak. If you want it a little more done – add another flip with another 1-2 minutes.
Cover with tin foil and let sit for at least 5 minutes. It lets the meat rest and absorb all of the juices that want to run out.
Add a little baked potato with butter and sour cream on the side – maybe a green salad. You will have made the most tender and flavorful steak without even getting out the grill.
- 2 ribeye steak (very good quality, no growth hormones, grassfed)
- 1 T coconut oil
- Salt and pepper
- Put a cast iron skillet in a 500 degree oven and let it get hot for about 20 minutes.
- When you're ready, leave the oven at 500 degrees and turn your burner on high heat.
- Put your skillet on the burner for a few minutes.
- Carefully lay your seasoned, room temperature and oil covered steak in the screaming hot pan.
- Set the timer for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes flip and put in the oven.
- Set the timer for another 2 minutes.
- After the timer goes - flip one more time and put back in the oven.