This morning the most amazing thing happened. No work was waiting for me at my desk when I got up and Isla woke up again before 5am so she was on her first nap by breakfast time. I had time to bake! I sat in my dining room and watched the sun come up while looking through one of my favorite cookbooks. Pretty sure that has never happened in the 3 years we have lived in this house. What a treat. I passed up about 5 different recipes until I found one where I had all of the ingredients.
Lemon Pistachio Cake. What an interesting combination. Surprisingly I had everything it called for, so we started cracking pistachios.
What a helper he was.
After cracking what seemed like a boat load of pistachios (1/4 cup) and splitting both of my thumb nails I started thinking to myself “this cake better be worth it…”
I decided to make my morning coffee before breakfast – it made the remainder of the shell cracking a little less …. annoying ?
I have never made a cake where you parchment line the whole cake pan. Usually it’s just the bottom. This was a real slick way to do it. No going around the edge with a dull butter knife prying the cake from the edges. I usually end up with big jags in the side of my cake making it quite obvious I didn’t butter the pan enough or the cake just decided not to come out in one piece.
Get your glaze ready while your cake cools a bit. (About 15 minutes)
Invert it on a serving plate or cake stand and gently peel of the parchment paper.
No knife marks!
Pour the glaze on top of the warm cake.
A little lemon for garnish if you wish. I like to give people an idea of what they will be biting into. I’d hate someone to think it was a chocolate pistachio cake and bite into a tart lemon cake 🙂
It was delicious warm, right out of the oven.
As you can see – it was worth the effort and split nails to shell all of the pistachios.
- 1½ cup butter
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup pistachios, ground
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup + 2T organic white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a mixer, blend the butter, sugar, salt and lemon juice until light and fluffy - about 2 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla and eggs one at a time - beating good in between.
- Make sure and scrape the bowl well.
- Turn the mixer on lowest speed and add in flour, almond flour, baking powder and pistachios until just incorporated.
- Scoop into prepared 6-6.5 inch pan. (well buttered and parchment lined pan).
- Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes - no longer!
- Let cool for 15 minutes before flipping over on a cake platter and carefully removing the parchment paper.
- While the cake is cooling, mix the lemon juice, can sugar and pistachios in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook for 2 minutes until the pistachios are nicely covered - about 2 minutes.
- As soon as you flip the cake on a platter pour on this mixture.