It’s Monday morning and I can hear the birds singing. Spring is definitely in the air. Today is the last day that will be above 70 for a few days so I better get outside later and work on getting my nose a little pinker. There’s nothing like the first sunkissed days of Spring.
I hate to pack too many posts in but I only have 2 days left to give you some really good Irish recipes. I’ve made this Guiness ice cream for probably 3 or 4 years now. It has just a mild enough flavor to trick the beer hater into loving it.
Simmer the Guiness stout beer for about 8-10 minutes. You want it to boil down to about 1/3 of a cup.
I happen to have a bunch of vanilla beans. If you don’t have vanilla beans, just use 2 teaspoons of good vanilla.
If you make sure your eggs are at room temperature, it mixes in so much better.
This is some of the easiest honey sauces I have ever made. We had some left over and Jason used it to make chocolate milk last night…what a great idea. So much better than the store bought junk in a bottle.
The Guiness makes for just a slight bitter taste which is perfect for the sweet chocolate sauce.
- 12 ounces guiness stout
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¾ cup organic sugar, sucanat or honey
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup honey
- 10 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Simmer Guiness in a saucepan until reduced to approximately ⅓ cup (about 8 minutes)
- Combine cream, milk and sugar in a heavy saucepan.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the pan and add the vanilla bean halves.
- Bring to a gentle boil
- Remove from heat
- Beat the egg yolks in a bowl
- Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks
- Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream to the hot cream
- Cook over medium low heat until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 170 degrees)
- Remove from heat and strain through a mesh strainer
- Let cool in the refrigerator for about 2 hours
- Remove from the refrigerator and add the Guiness reduction
- Pour into an ice cream machine and freeze according to the directions
- For the chocolate sauce -
- Scalt the cream and honey
- Remove from heat and pour over chocolate that is in a heat proof bowl
- Let sit for 2 minutes then add vanilla and whisk until smooth
- Let cool a bit before you pour over Guiness ice cream