We are in the middle of yet another blizzard here in SD. I really don’t mind the snow and cold – if I don’t have to be out in it. And today? so far I get to stay home. Home meaning my parents house. I took the kids on a mini vacation while we get our kitchen painted. I’ve been wanting to do something with the cabinets since we moved in over 2 years ago and it was finally time. Instead of trying to keep everyone out of the kitchen (impossible), I thought I’d just leave completely. So, after moving everything out of of the cabinets, into boxes and into the dining area, we packed up ourselves and took off for a few days. I can’t wait to get home and move everything back in it’s proper place 🙂
I made this sandwich weeks ago and kind of forgot about it. I’ve made it several times before and we absolutely love it. The original recipe came from here.
I make hamburger buns every few weeks (totally worth the effort!) and stick them in the freezer. Perfect for burgers or these sandwiches.
Nothing beats a homemade toasted bun.
Typically I flatten out the chicken breasts. It makes them cook faster and more evenly.
This is seriously one of the best sandwiches ever.
- Spicy mayo and slaw
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- ½ cup Bread-and-Butter Pickle, cut up, plus ¼ cup pickle juice
- Fried Chicken And Assembly
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- Sprinkle of pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 8-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved crosswise
- Coconut oil for frying or butter
- 4 buns
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Mix the garlic with the mayo and Tabasco and a sprinkle of salt.
- Cover and chill
- In a separate bowl, add the onion, jalapeno, cabbage, pickles and juice.
- Cover and chill.
- Set a plate out with the flour, salt and pepper.
- Flatten the chicken, if you so choose, cover in flour, then in buttermilk - and back in flour.
- Lay in hot butter or coconut oil and brown well on both sides (3-4 minutes per side) until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, split the buns and spread with butter.
- Toast in a warm frying pan.
- When the chicken is done, let rest on a plate for a few minutes and sprinkle with salt.
- Put the spicy mayo on both sides of the bun, add a piece of chicken and put a handful of slaw on top of the chicken.