As part of my making dinners (lunch) a priority, I have been on the lookout for quick and easy recipes where I have the ingredients on hand. As soon as I saw this recipe I knew I had to make it. I started sprouting my sprouts immediately. A few days later, I made this fabulous dinner and it did not disappoint. I think it will be a regular in the rotation.
The sprouts that I used are a combination of about 3 different seeds. These are the kind that I used.
Avocado with fresh lime. Yum. A little squeeze of citrus really makes a difference. It freshens up the dullest of meals.
Instead of using olive oil like the original recipe calls for, I used butter. I love me some butter.
Squeeze a little fresh lime juice on the sprouts and let sit for a few minutes while you get the eggs ready.
While the eggs are frying, add the red pepper flakes to the side of the pan to soften them up and add flavor to the butter.
Meanwhile, heat a tortilla up. I used organic flour tortillas. Sprouted tortillas would be ideal, but I didn’t have any on hand.
Heat the tortillas so it is just crispy.
Pour the flavored butter (or olive oil) over the tortilla.
Add the lime soaked sprouts on top.
Lay your eggs on top of the sprouts. Sprinkle with a little feta and add a side of avocado. I added another squeeze of lime juice and a little salt.
Sriracha all over 🙂
This was a delicious, quick and healthy dinner.
- 1 cup sprouts
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 T butter or olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 sprouted grain tortillas or regular tortillas
- Hot sauce (optional)
- 1 ounce feta
- Avocado slices and lime wedges (for serving)
- Toss sprouts with lime juice in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat butter or oil in a medium skillet over medium-high.
- When oil is hot, crack eggs into skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Butter should be bubbling around eggs from the start.
- Cook, rotating skillet occasionally, until whites are golden brown and crisp at the edges and set around the yolk (which should be runny), about 2 minutes.
- Add red pepper flakes to butter while the eggs are cooking.
- Meanwhile, heat tortillas over a gas burner until just warmed and slightly charred in spots (or warm in the oven or a toaster oven).
- Pour butter over warmed tortillas and mound the sprouts on top.
- Add eggs on top of sprouts.
- Crumble feta over, and serve with avocado slices, lime wedges, and hot sauce.