The countdown is on. I have my list of “to do’s” for the next few days. I’m going do as much as I can ahead of time so Thursday morning isn’t such a rush. The turkey is brining, table is set and wine is chilling. And jalapeno bites are made.
I have had a jar of red pepper jelly in my pantry for over a year. The only way I’ve ever had red pepper jelly is poured over a brick of cream cheese and served with triscuits. Now don’t get me wrong – I do really like that -but this recipe? This recipe takes red pepper jelly to a whole new level.
When you look at the picture you would think they are cherry tarts or some sort of dessert, but don’t be fooled. These little guys are salty, cheddary – a little sweet – all with a little kick of jalapeno pepper. Did I just refer to them as “little guys”?
Yup – more Kerrygold. Both aged cheddar and Dubliner.
I tend to toast more pecans than I need. I chop them up and store them in the freezer so they’re ready when I need them.
The thumb print kind of disappears after you baking them. After taking them out of the oven, I used the end of one of my cooking utensils to make the print a little bit bigger.
Cherry? or pepper?
One of the nice things about these is that they can be made ahead of time. Roll them in pecans, add your thumb print and stick them in the freezer. When you’re ready for them – take them out of the freezer and bake them for about 20 minutes.
This picture reminds me of some of the cookie pictures in my mom’s old Betty Crocker cookbook.
- 1 7oz block Kerry Gold aged cheddar
- ½ 7oz block Kerry Gold Dubliner cheese
- ⅓ cup softened Kerry Gold butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1¼ cup organic white flour
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 T ice water
- ⅓ cup toasted pecans, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup jalapeno pepper jelly
- Beat butter and egg yolk until well mixed.
- Add in grated cheese.
- Mix well.
- Add in flour, pepper and salt a little bit at a time until combined.
- Slowly add in 1 T water if needed to form a dough.
- Roll into 1 inch balls.
- Roll in finely chopped pecans.
- Add in a thumb print using your thumb or knuckle.
- Either freeze or put in a 350 degree oven.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes until done.
- Using a spoon, put in ½ tsp of pepper jelly as soon as they get out of the oven.
- Serve at room temperature.