I woke up this morning to the sound of a 4 year old breathing in my face. I opened my eyes and there he was. Stooped over my bed – hovering – about 2 inches from my face. “Mom – I had a bad dream…”.
I pulled him up and we had a little snuggle this morning way before the sun was even up. Good thing for coffee.
The days and weeks are flying by. We have a weekend planned with raking, raking and more raking. So thankful for beautiful weather to do it in.
Last night I made Brown Sugar and Lemon Chicken. The recipe comes from one of my favorite blogs EatLiveRun. It’s ready in 30 minutes. Easy peasy.
In this recipe and almost all recipes I sub sucanat for brown sugar.
Sucanant stands for Sugar Cane Natural. It’s unrefined cane sugar. Basically it’s extracting the juice of freshly cut sugar cane and heating it. Once the juice is reduced to a rich, dark syrup, it is hand-paddled. Hand paddling cools and dries the syrup, creating the granules. It tastes of molasses and is a great substitute for brown sugar.
Pound the chicken flat so it cooks evenly.
Coat the chicken breasts in a mixture of paprika, salt and flour.
Brown on medium-high heat until crispy.
This is how they should look when you flip them.
Once the chicken is browned on both sides, remove them from the pan and add the lemon juice. Be sure to scrape all of the good bits off the bottom.
Put the chicken back in the pan and sprinkle with sucanat and lemon peel.
Bake at 350 until the chicken is done. About 20 minutes – maybe less.
We ate ours with green beans and wild rice.
This is a great way to have crispy and juicy chicken.
- 3-4 hormone free chicken breast
- juice of two large organic lemons
- 1 T lemon zest
- 1 cup organic flour
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 T coconut oil
- 2 T sucanat
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using a meat mallet (or ice cream scoop), pound the chicken breasts thin. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, paprika and sea salt on a plate.
- Coat the chicken in the flour/paprika/salt mixture.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Drop each chicken breast in the oil and brown on both sides.
- Remove chicken breasts and keep warm on a plate.
- Pour the lemon juice in the pan and stir to deglaze.
- Put chicken breasts back in the pan.
- Sprinkle with sucanat and lemon zest.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165.