The plums have been so good the last few weeks. I tend to over buy things when they are really good and then get sick of them about half way through. I had 7 plums sitting on my counter waiting to be eaten or somehow used. I looked through my cookbooks and everything that l saw using plums used puff pastry. I love puff pastry – but it’s not something I usually have on hand. Wanting to avoid the grocery store, I decided to combine about 5 recipes and make my own version of a plum tart.
I’m not usually a crust person (I tend to scoop out the filling and leave the rest). But this crust turned out really good. Crunchy, buttery – almost melt in your mouth.
I put the crust in the freezer for a good 15 minutes before putting in a hot oven.
I had 7 plums and it seemed to be the right amount.
I used black organic plums.
The crust made enough for 1 regular sized tart pan and 1 mini tart pan. – with no left over crust.
Arrange the plums neatly in the pan before you spread the filling over.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until set. I put a pan under the tart pan to prevent any leaking. The filling did not leak, but the butter ran out a little on the bottom. Nothing will smoke up your kitchen worse than butter on the bottom of your hot oven.
I have a flat pan with a hole in the middle that goes under the tart pan to catch anything that leaks out.
This plum tart goes perfectly with a cup of tea.
Or on it’s own.
Or with a dip of ice cream.
- 1½ cups organic unbleached white flour
- 2 eggs yolks
- 6 T butter
- ⅓ cup sucanat
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ tsp brandy
- 1-2 T cream
- 1 stick butter
- ½ cup sucanat
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp brandy
- 2 T cream
- 7 organic black plums
- For the crust - cut the butter into the flour and sugar with a pastry cutter.
- Add in the salt, vanilla, egg yolks and cream until a pastry dough is formed (like a pie crust)
- Roll out between 2 pieces of parchment paper.
- Put into a tart pan.
- Put the into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Put directly from freezer into a hot 350 degree oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Let cool.
- Meanwhile make the filling.
- Blend the room temperature butter sucanat until well blended and fluffy.
- Add eggs one and a time.
- Add in flour, vanilla, brandy and salt.
- Slice the plums and arrange into the bottom of the tart pan.
- Pour the filling over top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired.