Yesterday was a busy day with work and we didn’t get home until almost supper time. I’m happy to say this meal was on the table in less than 30 minutes.
I had planned on making a casserole with the smoked mozzarella but then Ollie requested meatballs. I found a recipe on the foodnetwork website and improvised a bit. Well, a lot.
I got home and threw the ingredients in a bowl. It’s so much easier to mix it with your hands.
I cut the mozzarella into small cubes. Fold the meat mixture around the cheese.
Roll into balls and put on parchment paper. Bake at 350 for approximately 25 minutes.
This is the time where you *should* get the pasta out to boil. I had no pasta in the pantry. Not one lone macaroni.
Plan B. We’ve got couscous.
I used chicken broth from the freezer instead of water. I try to use chicken or beef broth (homemade bone broth) whenever possible. Time to find the marinara sauce. No marinara sauce in the pantry.
Plan C. Skip the sauce all together.
I added about 2-3 T butter and salt to the couscous when it was done. This was a blend I found that has quinoa, garbonzo beans and couscous.
Although this was a fly by the seat of my pants meal – it was very good. When we started eating, Jason said, “huh- I kind of like this better than pasta.” I just nodded and pretended it was all planned out.
- 1# grass fed beef
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup gluten free oatmeal
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 15 cubes smoked mozzarella
- Mix all of the ingredients together except for the smoked mozzarella.
- Roll the ground beef mixture into a ball, about the size of a golf ball.
- Stuff the mozzarella into the center of the beef mixture.
- Lay on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
- Serve with pasta, couscous or anything else you find in your pantry.
This was adapted from Giada De Laurentiis recipe.